You can request us to collect data for multiple domains at different intervals (twice a month, monthly and once every two months).
We collect data from Majestics' Fresh Index and pull in a maximum of 3 links per domain (to eradicate noise from sitewide links).
Importantly, we re-crawl every backlinking page to check the links are live and to check the relevance of the content against your 'market defining keywords'. This uniquely allows to determine how relevant a backlink is to your niche.
1. Click on 'Link Data'
2. The page will default to the primary domain for your project. But if you click on it then you can look at data for a competitor
e.g. Click on www.authoritas.com to bring up the list of domains you are tracking.
3. Click on the date to see all the recent backlink crawls
4. To add another website to analyse, simply click on 'Track Domain'
5. Type in the domain you want to analyse and select how often you want to get backlink data for. 'Monthly' is the default and most sensible setting
6. To change how often we collect backlink data for a site, simply click on 'Change interval'
7. Select your preferred option
8. To stop collecting data for a website, click on 'Pause Timeline'
(You can also click 'Manage' and then 'Domains' which takes you to the settings page where you can see all the websites you are getting backlink data for and tracking keyword rankings. You can add, edit and delete websites in bulk from this page).
9. One of the first things you should do before diving into the data is to setup your market keywords - these help our algorithms decide how relevant a link is to you and your competitors. Simply, click on the 'Market defining keywords'
10. This takes you to the 'Settings > Keywords' page where you can see the keywords we look for within the content of backlinking pages
N/B: Do not confuse these keywords with the keywords you are rank tracking. They are most likely the same or very similar, but they can be entirely different - it is up to you.
11. Click on 'APPS' to return back to the 'Link Data' module
12. You can also manage your keywords and domains from the 'Manage' menu
13. To export all the backlink data, simply click on 'Export'
14. You can export a single page or all pages per website
15. You can choose how many rows to download
16. You can export in .csv or .xls format
17. You can sort the columns in the table by clicking on them. e.g Clicking on 'Influence' will help you find the most influential backlinks to your site or your competitors
18. You can sort the columns in the table by clicking on them. e.g Clicking on 'Relevance' will help you find the most influential backlinks to your site or your competitors
Using these metrics is a good way to look for and find good quality websites that are linking to your competitors and not to you.
The 'Also links to' column will show a 'me' icon, if a website also links to you. The '+' number in this column, shows how many of the other websites you are tracking are also linked to by this website. It's a good sign if the website is already linking to a competitor that they might also consider linking to your site too.
19. You can click on an individual backlink to see more details and visit related social media profiles on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
20. Click on the 'Author' icon to add this person as a 'contact' in your contacts database
21. Click the 'megaphoone' icon to add this website as an outreach prospect in a link building campaign
Go to 'Settings > Campaigns' to create a link building campaign if you have not created one already.
22. The 'add to campaign' pop-up will appear which allows you to add important details about this website
This is particularly useful if one member of an SEO team is researching a possible list of link prospects and another team member is handling the outreach.
23. Select a campaign, e.g. 'Test Campaign'
24. Set a 'priority'
25. Optionally, add 'tags' to help organise your link targets
26. The URL will be added automatically, but be sure to add some useful commentary to help you remember later why you added this site
e.g. 'level343.com/the-perfect-seo-tool-package/' 'Ask them for a link as they are linking to several competitors.'
27. You can see all the link prospects you have added at any time by clicking on 'Campaigns' in the left-hand menu
28. To refine the list of backlinks, click on the domain you are interested in
29. To filter and refine the backlink data for any site, simply click on the '+' filter icon
30. To see new links since the last backlink crawl, just click on 'Compare to Previous Index' and click 'Show New Only'
31. There are many other filters available to you, including filtering by 'Top Level Domain' or 'Country'
32. You can also filter by 'site type', e.g. Blogs, articles, news pages
33. If you are going head to head with a specific competitor, it's often good to look for backlinks to their pages using specific anchor text in the link
You can easily do this by filtering to 'Link Anchor Text' and entering a keyword phrase.
There are lots of filters to try. Give them a try!